Heaven Petroleum Operators S.A. owns the first industrial biodiesel production plant in Peru. It was inaugurated in January 2008 with an installed capacity of 120,000 gallons per day of B100. Today it is Peru’s largest biodiesel plant.
- Biodiesel B100 (whose use is mandatory under the 5 Percent Law)
- Biorec (fuel for marine and industrial use)
- Industrial grade glycerol
- Refining of oils and fats
- Storage of oils
- Transmarine Oil
- Refineries (Repsol, Maple Gas, Petroperu)
- Louis Dreyfus Peru SA (soybean oil)
- Cargill Peru SA (soybean oil)
- Peruquímicos S.R.L. (chemicals)
Because of its awareness of the importance of environmental issues, this business is of special interest to HPO Holding. Biodiesel offers many environmental benefits which are important to the country of Peru, including:
- It is completely biodegradable and non-toxic.
- It reduces the level of particulate emissions into the air.
- It reduces to zero the emission of sulfur ("acid rain").
- Any spills of this fuel into the waters of rivers and seas are less polluting and lethal to marine flora and fauna than fossil fuels.
The main benefits to the Peruvian economy include:
- It is a factor in the development of agriculture and related industries.
- It contributes to the feasibility of the country’s fuel self-sufficiency.
- It offers independence from the supply of fossil fuels.
- It is a potential source of new jobs.
- Trade balance: reduces the country’s outflow of currency (permitting lower imports of D2 Diesel)